Sunday, January 25, 2009

Oh... Canada

Some of you might be familiar with “The O.C.“ - a once (and for some people maybe still) very popular NBC-TV-Series about a California crash-kid who gets bailed out of jail by a rich Jewish Samaritan lawyer to get adopted by his upper-class Orange County (O.C. for those who are a little slow) family to beat up rich kids at school, to get laid with every girl he meets and to ultimately become an architect after losing his once-in-a-while-drug-addict-love-of-his-life girlfriend who suffers from anorexia in a car accident after chasing a lunatic surfer dude and going to Berkeley after convincing a gay couple to sell their house to his adoptive parents because they once lived in there and just want it back because they are awaiting another child after their house gets destroyed by a huge earthquake – you know… the usual stuff.


So those of you who thought that I was just too stupid to properly spell a 5-letter-title (7 if you count the periods) and hoped “The OhC” would be about this extraordinary television experience (I’m serious, I really liked it), featuring fan-made stories about sexy actors in their mid-twenties who play high-school kids living in a world of sun tan and dinner parties – I am sorry... no... nooooooooooooooooooooooooo... no.


As you might have guessed from the Title, “The OhC” stands for “Oh... Canada”. Yep... this is some kind of a travel blog. And yes... I am currently sitting in Canada in front of my laptop, waiting for university to continue after 12 weeks of strike. And like many of my fellow students who went abroad for one year, I thought it would be nice to tell everybody back on the Old Continent what it is like to live in the land of the Mounties, ice hockey and maple syrup.

But instead of annoying people by posting ALL the pictures I made during my trips or telling them where I went today, what I ate and what I am going to do tomorrow (that's what Twitter is for), I thought it would be much more entertaining and informative to give you an insight into the peculiarities of the country a friend of mine tends to call the "Belgium of America". In the following weeks and months, I will try to tell you about all the things I like here in Canada, giving you guys some insight into topics like everyday life, media and pop-culture. But it would be just half the fun if I only put on my pink glasses and painted little fairies, wouldn't it? So I will of course rant about all the strange stuff that I encountered during the last months which challenged my understanding of sanity and reason and made me appreciate my home country so much more! Here are the rules - every time you see me posting a blog with a picture like the one on top, I will tell you something GOOD about the Canucks and you should imagine the words "Oh... Canada" being sung out in a proud chime by Céline Dion. Every time you read a post with a picture like the one down here, prepare to find out something BAD and imagine the "Oh... Canada" being sighed out by a disillusioned guy who slaps his hand against his forehead while shaking his head in disbelief.

So those of you who are just interested in what's going on in "America Light" - I hope you have fun reading this. For those of you who are planning to come here and are full of enthusiasm about Canada - I hope you will still give it a shot and not change your mind after reading about the strange things that are going on over here. To cut a long story short - welcome to the good, the bad and the ugly sides Canada!

2 comments:

  1. Hi everybody! I posted my first article and would like you to check out the poll:

    If you liked what you read, I will try to post at least once a week to keep you guys entertained about what's going on over here.

    If you don't care... I guess I will just count it as a "Yes"-Vote ;)

    If nobody wants it, I'll just keep my thoughts to myself - and maybe one day write a book about my trip and it'll become a bestseller and then you'll have to read it anyways!

    ReplyDelete